CoCoALib:HowTo:Compile CoCoALib on Windows
- This site is set up to collect all necessary bits and pieces to compile the CoCoALib on Windows.
- Note that the current implementation does not enable all functions available in the CoCoALib.
- This description is made for compiling the CoCoALib with MSVC 2003/2005.
Before compiling the CoCoALib you need to install the following files:
- GMP Library: You will need this library to enable a few features in the CoCoALib. You can either download the full GMP libraries or get a selection of files needed for the CoCoALib.
- A howto for installing the GMP lib on Windows and compile it on your own can be found on .
- A zip-file containing the necessarry files to compile GMP4.2.2 with MSVC 2005 can be found . Inlcuded are also the descriptions found at the above mentioned link. We will refer to these files with the keyword %GMPpath.
- HG mercurial: You will need this software only if you want to use the latest CoCoALib. The source control system HG is used to apply a few changes to the CoCoALib via a patch. We will refer to TortoiseHG. TortoiseHG will install mercurial on your system and adds a context menu in the MS Explorer providing many of the needed functionalities.
At the moment the CoCoALib can not be compiled with MSVC directly. To enable a compilation with nmake in MSVC the makefiles have to be added to the lib. To keep things easy we provide a patch.
- Download the latest CoCoALib source files from the CoCoA website: Download Page.
- The patch is at the moment available via the forum: .
- Creating a Repo: In order to apply the patch the current CoCoALib directory has to be turned into a HG repo. To do so select the CoCoALib folder in your Browser and choose from the HG context menu: Create Repository here.
- Applying patch: This has to be done from the command line. Type in your command line window:
hg import -m "Apply MSVC patch" CoCoALib_MSVC.patch
Prior to compilation you have to adjust the configuration file. Open the file makefile.vc.conf in the configuration subfolder. Set the %GMPpath by adapting the following two lines:
_GMP_INCLUDE contains the path to your GMP binaries. _GMP_LIB points to the gmp.lib file.
For the current CoCoALib Version the header file gmp.h (found in %GMPpath) has to be copyed manually to the following subfolders:
Open a Visual Studio command prompt and change to your local CoCoALib folder. Use the nmake command to compile the CoCoALib:
- Displays a list of available targets
nmake -f Makefile.vc This makefile builds the CoCoALib. This build system is specific for the Microsoft environment using MSVC 2003/5. For more information check out http://cocoa.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de/forum Available targets are: nmake -f makefile.vc "target" clean : remove all files created CoCoALib: build CoCoALib ;) tests : build tests examples: build examples Not merged is the possibility of building a non-threaded version of the CoCoAServer.
- Builds the CoCoALib
nmake -f Makefile.vc CoCoALib
If you encounter problems check out the forum: CoCoA Forum